Interested in writing a Head First book?
We're looking for someone who:
- Wants to help others learn a topic. Head First books aren't about you, the author, they are about the reader and you should have a passion for helping your readers learn. If you want your next book to be called "<My name here> On <My favorite topic here>" then you are probably in the wrong place. However, if you are passionate about giving the gift of knowledge to others, you're on the right path to writing Head First.
- Has a sense of Head First style. How do you know what that is? Reading the books is the best guide. Head First requires a sense of narrative and pacing, a pinch of humor and a dash of hipness.
- Has a design sense. Head First books are not created by a production team after you've writen the text, they are hand crafted by the authors. You don't need to know how to use our tool (Adobe InDesign), but you should be comfortable with the idea of doing basic page layouts like you see in the current books (or be willing to team up with someone who is).
- Can write a book at a quick pace. The days of 1-2 year production cycles are long gone. Head First books are written in 6-9 months.
- Is truly passionate about a topic.
- Web Performance and Optimization
Sound good? Excellent. Now it is time to sharpen your pencil. Your task: teach us something in Head First style. We've created an author's guide (PDF) for you. Just download it, read it, and send an email to to get set up with everything you need.
When you've emailed your final audition to us, we'll review your work and see if it looks like Head First material. We can't promise a contract, but even if we can't provide you with a contract now, we'll keep your work on file for future reference.
Best of luck and we hope to hear from you!